Note: Read why this site appears to be in plain text.
Sprint Global Sites:
Sprint Global Navigation:
Samsung Reclaim™ is Sprint’s first eco-friendly phone and demonstrated to the market that you could design a technologically sophisticated yet environmentally responsible phone, and have it look fabulous. Samsung Reclaim is “loaded” with advanced technology including a QWERTY slide-out keyboard; a 2.0 megapixel camera and camcorder; integrated social-messaging features such as Facebook, e-mail, texting and YouTube; GPS navigation; and more. Samsung Reclaim was met with strong sales and has won numerous industry awards including the CES 2010 Innovation Award and Best of Green: Best New Cell Phone Award in the Science and Technology category by TreeHugger.com.
In designing this phone, Sprint met with key green electronics stakeholders and reviewed available information to determine the important elements of designing an environmentally responsible phone. Sprint selected Samsung as its handset partner for it first eco-friendly device and on Aug. 6, 2009, announced Samsung Reclaim.
Reclaim’s environmental attributes include:
- Reduction of certain Hazardous Substances (RoHS) compliant
- Low levels of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and phthalates, brominated flame retardants (BFRs) (restricted to the chipset) and beryllium
- Casing of bioplastics sourced from corn (16%) and polycarbonate (84%), which means fewer greenhouse gas emissions than typical devices
- ENERGY STAR Version 2.0 certified energy efficient charger (level V) with standby power loss <30mW
- 80% recyclable, based on weight
- Sustainable packaging – 100% recyclable materials, 70% post-consumer materials (PCM) in the brown craft paper cardboard box, all printing done with soy inks, online user guide with abbreviated guide in box
- Postage-paid envelop to recycle customer’s old device
- $2 contribution to Nature Conservancy's Adopt an Acre Program with each device purchased from Aug. 16, 2009 - Dec. 31, 2009 (total donation $500K)
- Green One Click Tile for direct customer access to green content and applications
- GPS navigation option to help customers reduce their greenhouse gas emissions